07 Jun Teach Independence to Children
It is very necessary to train and teach independence to children from an early age. Because every parent dreams of their child being independent and intelligent. Moreover, children will face increasingly tough competition in the world of work. Training independence in children must be done from an early age, why is that? because the provision of independence that they have received since childhood will shape them into independent, intelligent, strong and confident individuals when they grow up, so that they are ready to face their future well.
Teaching children to be independent cannot be done instantly. This requires quality processes and techniques. In addition, teaching independence in early childhood requires patience. Independent attitudes should be taught from the age of 2 to 5 years because at that age you can say the foundation for attitudes that will be carried into adulthood.
Parents as the main role in training children’s independence
Basically, to train independence in early childhood can be done by getting used to doing small activities that are simple. In training independence in children, parents must have a role and good example for children. This is because at an early age the attitude and character of children are still relatively unstable so they are easily influenced by what they see and hear.
Start with small things first which is of course adapted to the child’s age level. Starting from bathing, preparing clothes, grooming, eating, everything can be done alone if we have trained and taught children to be independent.
Appreciation or Punishment , is it necessary?
Although the results of children’s work are not neat, their work deserves appreciation. As a gift, do not hesitate to give praise to children. Show that we are proud of them for being able to do it themselves happily. Indeed, the independence of children certainly varies depending on their age level. We don’t only give rewards/praises, but we also have the courage to give punishment/punishments if children are not disciplined and do bad things. The punishment we give is a punishment that educates him to be more responsible, does not hurt him physically or psychologically.
The role of parents must still be considered. As a mentor for their children, they must be smart in providing direction, attention, and supervising their activities but not being overprotective, so that they do not lose their confidence.
Simple Habits to Build Independence in Children
Make Your Own Bed . One simple way to build self-confidence in children is to teach small things like making their own bed. This may seem trivial, but it will have a big impact on the formation of children’s character in the future. You can teach this simple way to your little one every time you wake up. Invite your little one to tidy up the bed starting from folding the blankets, tidying up the pillows and bed linen. Do not question the level of neatness because the most important thing is the child’s willingness to do this.
Take Your Own Food . You can also teach the attitude of independence at the dinner table. Allow your little one to take his own food and don’t always feed him. In this case what you need to do is teach how to take good and polite food. In addition, also teach etiquette and how to eat well in children. If at the age of a toddler your little one can eat on their own then this shows that the child’s independence has begun to form well. What you need to do is monitor the development of this attitude by always teaching good things to children.
Tidy Up Toys . Children are synonymous with leaving toys anywhere. Well, to shape his personality, you should start teaching your little one to put and tidy up their own toys. Teach children to put toys in their proper places. This simple step can be one way to grow independence in children. simple but quality steps are even easier for your little one to learn. In this case you must always be patient and painstaking to do it.
Tips for Training Children to Live Independently
- Give praise for positive activities that have been carried out by children, even though the results are less than satisfactory, but praise can motivate children to do the same next time.
- Parents or caregivers, should not immediately provide assistance if the child has difficulty. Give encouragement so that children do not give up easily.
- If your child wants something like a cartoon on television, a book or a children’s magazine, give your child a chance to choose. If what your child chooses isn’t good for them, give them an acceptable reason why they should choose something else.
- Encourage and continue to motivate them to do positive activities for children, fertilize and train these talents.
- From time to time invite and provoke the child to discuss and give an opinion on a problem.
- Invite children to be sensitive to the environment and help others, be it friends at school or at home
- Invite children to fantasize about the future, for example, what will be his ideals in the future.
- More importantly, teach children to depend on Him (Allah), teach worship from an early age. That way when children experience serious problems, they will not easily enter into escapes that damage their future such as consuming alcohol, falling for drugs and so on.
dr. Muhammad Sobri Maulana, S.Kom